Monday, February 2, 2009

Post Blago Blog Post

Not that I didn't enjoy the Rod Blagojevich Untergang media circus, but I've yet to find a piece addressing the really interesting question here, namely: how did this guy manage to function as Governor of a major state?

I mean, I understand that Illinois expects corruption from her politicians, no problem there. But this guy is nutty -- delusional, narcissistic, histrionic, incapable of normal self-presentation. So what are the expectations of a United States Governor, such that Rod Blagojevich was able to (more or less) meet them for almost five years? And what's next? Are we going to find out that Arnie Schwarzenegger never bothered learning to read or write? That David Paterson is exactly like that Peter Sellers character? That Janet Napolitano is just some kind of Internet hoax? How did the quality controls manage to totally vanish all at once?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a question that started plaguing me when Sarah Palin erupted on the scene and I realised that in many important respects my 11-year-old was far better qualified to run a State administration. Blago just took surly incompetence and yes, immorality, to a whole new level and coupled it with a really deeply unpleasant personality to boot. So I agree with you. What's up with the other 48?

Anonymous said...

Well, Illinois is in pretty crappy shape right now and the budget is a total mess. So I'm not sure "function" is accurate.